Kids jokes make nearly any situation just a little bit better. Are you waiting out a layover with a grumpy toddler? Little kid jokes get kids laughing using simple language and concepts. Distracting elementary-aged kids from boredom during a long family road trip or some downtime in the RV? Riddles will keep brains whirring and tempers even. Even the punniest of knock knock jokes are good for the brain and the spirit.
And whether you’re telling them (or hearing them) on the road or at home, funny kids jokes make the time pass with a little more levity.
COMPARE AND SAVE: 10 Best Car Rental Booking Sites for Cheap Prices
Kids Jokes: Why We Love Them
Jokes require a relatively complex set of skills that’s great to encourage in kids. In order to be a successful teller of jokes, you first hear or read a joke and decide whether it’s funny or not. Then you have to remember it for long enough to tell someone else, and understand the structure of humor enough to be able to nail the delivery.
You then tell the joke (sometimes again and again), which is great short storytelling practice and helps kids make interpersonal connections.
PACK AND PLAY: 10 Kids Luggage Brands That Make Traveling with Kids Easier
Where to Find Great Kids Jokes
The three great resources for finding funny jokes for kids are the internet, joke books, and talking to other kids. Some schools and after school care programs even have what’s called Joke Fridays, a time for kids to tell and trade jokes; these can be a treasure trove of jokes for children.
Here are some of our favorite jokes for kids, broken down into little kid jokes, general funny jokes for kids, riddle jokes for kids, and knock knock jokes for kids. We’ve included some of our favorite joke books for kids, too.
TRAVEL WITH TODDLERS: 10 Best Vacations for Toddlers (That Parents Will Enjoy Too)
Little Kid Jokes
Little kid jokes need to be a little simpler and rely less on big words or the ability to spell. But, ideally, they should still be, you know, funny. Here’s a selection of little kid jokes sure to tickle your family’s funny bone.
- Why was six afraid of seven? Because 7, 8, 9.
- What is brown and sticky? A stick.
- What’s a ghost’s favorite dessert? I scream.
- What does one volcano say to the other? I lava you.
- What’s orange and sounds like a parrot? A carrot.
- What did the egg say to the funny baker? You crack me up.
- What did the mom cow say to the baby cow? It’s pasture bedtime.
ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME: 7 Iconic U.S. Attractions Kids Should See Before They Grow Up
Funny Jokes for Kids
Sometimes the best jokes are silly jokes; other times, they’re jokes that delight kids just a bit with an alternate meaning or a surprise ending. Here are some funny jokes for kids to add to your family repertoire so you’ll always have a laugh at the ready.
- What do you call a droid that takes the long route? R-2 Detour
- If a seagull flies over the sea, what flies over a bay? A bagel
- What kind of tree fits in your hand? A palm tree
- What building in New York has the most stories? The library
- What’s worse than finding a worm in your apple? Only finding half a worm.
- What did the banana say to the teacher? Nothing, bananas can’t talk.
- What do you call a boomerang that won’t come back? A stick
- What do you call a dog magician? Abra-cadabra-dor
- What dinosaur has the best vocabulary? The thesaurus
- Why couldn’t the astronaut book a hotel on the moon? Because it was full.
- What do you call a fish without an eye? A fsh (fish without an ‘i’)
- What does every birthday end with? The letter Y
- Why are fish so smart? Because they live in schools.
- What did the science book say to the math book? Wow, you’ve got problems.
- Why wouldn’t the shrimp share its treasure? Because it was a little shellfish.
- What kind of room doesn’t have doors? A mushroom
- What’s the best place in the school to grow flowers? Kindergarten
- How does a tree get on the internet? It logs in.
- Why is Kylo Ren so lonely? He’s Ben Solo too long.
ROAD-TRIP READS: 33 Books Like Harry Potter to Binge on Your Next Vacation
Riddle Jokes for Kids
Riddles offer a slightly sophisticated twist on the classic kid joke, often relying on double meaning of words and lateral thinking. They’re great for elementary-aged kids as well as tweens and teens, and punchlines often deliver that “oooooh!” moment rather than a classic belly laugh.
- What has four wheels and flies? A garbage truck
- What can you catch, but never throw? A cold
- What’s bigger when it’s upside down? A 6
- What gets wetter the more it dries? A towel
- What stays in the corner but can travel the world? A stamp
MAKE MEMORIES: 27 Family Vacation Ideas for a Trip They’ll Never Forget
Knock Knock Jokes for Kids
Knock knock jokes offer kids the rare chance to have the upper hand in a conversational exchange with grown-ups. They may not be the ultimate in funny, but these lesser-known knock knock jokes will at least save you from that twentieth round of “knock knock, who’s there, banana …”
Owls go who?
No, I’m pretty sure it’s pronounced Ida-ho.
OK, W-H-O …
I didn’t know you liked Japanese poetry!
No, you’re a poo!
Interrupting sloth who?
(wait 20 seconds)
LIFE LESSONS: How Travel Can Help You Teach Your Kids about Money
Joke Books for Kids
Silly joke books for kids are a good source of new material. Here are several tried-and-true kids jokes books that always get a good giggle.
1. Laugh Out Loud Jokes for Kids
2. National Geographic Kids Just Joking: 300 Hilarious Jokes, Tricky Tongue Twisters, and Ridiculous Riddles
3. The Big Book of Silly Jokes for Kids
4. The Best Joke Book for Kids: Illustrated Silly Jokes for Ages 3-6
5. Jokes for Kids: The Best Jokes, Riddles, Tongue Twisters, Knock-Knock Jokes, and One-Liners for Kids
More from FamilyVacationist:
- 11 Classic Family Board Games with Crazy New Twists
- 11 Best Outdoor Projection Screens for Your Backyard Movie Night
- Sunglasses for Babies and Kids: The Best Brands and Styles
Posted: September 2020
Updated: June 2022