Kids sneakers have a serious job to do: support growing feet as children run, jump, explore, learn, and play. Finding the perfect fit can mean trying out a variety of brands, and often the sneakers that work for your kid when they’re little won’t be the right shoe as their feet (and style sensibilities) grow. With that in mind, we’ve rounded up beloved brands for little and big kids, in cool colors and new styles that will bring kids running. Our top kids sneaker picks include running shoes, sneaker-hiker hybrids, athletic shoes, slip ons, canvas, and yes, even light-up sneakers.
Where to Find Kids Sneakers
- Journeys Kidz: Journeys Kidz is a kids footwear chain with a range of cool-enough-for-cool-kids brands like Converse and Adidas. Frequent sales and special-edition shoes make Journeys (which also sells adult shoes) a good stop whenever you’re looking for kids sneakers.
- Foot Locker: Sneakers are the star at Foot Locker. With stores in 28 countries and a massive online presence, Foot Locker is a go-to source of all the latest and greatest in the world of sport shoes. The retailer carries sneakers, running shoes, and other sports shoes in all sizes, from infant sizes through adult sizes.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Just as the name suggests, Dick’s Sporting Goods carries much more than just shoes, but its kids sneaker selection stands out for its easy-to-browse selections of kids athletic shoes, basketball shoes, lifestyle sneakers, and limited sneaker releases.
- Zappos: Longtime online shoe retailer Zappos has a fantastic selection of current kids shoes from dozens of brands, including both popular names like Nike and lesser-known brands for smaller feet with devoted followings like Livie & Luca, pediped, and Tsukihoshi Kids.
- DSW: DSW has a constantly refreshed robust selection of discounted kids sneakers. Including shoes from Nike, Vans, Adidas, New Balance, and Converse.
- Brand Websites: When you’re comparing prices on kids sneakers online, it’s a good idea to check the brand website as well as shoe retailers. Brands that sell boys and girls sneakers and running shoes directly include Adidas, Nike, Converse, New Balance, and Sketchers. You can also find smaller, harder-to-find sneaker brands with kids lines like Onitsuka Tiger and Plae.
Our Top Picks for Kids Sneakers
Nike Air Force
Leather uppers meet Nike Air comfort with the Nike Air Force 1 series. This classic shoe, which first debuted as a basketball shoe in 1982, has been updated for kids with cool colors and playful details. Heel cushioning and a cushioned collar make all-day wear comfortable for even the most active kids. The Air Force line has a fun range of options—for instance, a version of the LV8 comes videogame-ready with a pixelated iridescent swoosh, and the 1/1 has removable patches so kids can style their own kicks. A comfortable and cool kids sneaker, what more could a kid ask for?
Kids Vans Old Skool Sneakers
One shoe, many looks—that’s the joy of Van’s Old Skool sneakers. These retro-cool Kids Vans feature a reinforced toe-cap, suede and canvas uppers, and a lace-up closure. They’re available in an embrace-your-style array of colors and patterns for little kids, big kids, and adults. Proving it’s never too early to start honing your sneaker game, Van’s Old Skool sneakers are available (with Velcro) in toddler sizes as well.
Stride Rite Made2Play Radiant Bounce Sneaker
Stride Rite boldly takes the light-up kids sneaker concept to the next level—by making them machine washable. The Made2Play Radiant Bounce Sneaker has light-up soles, anti-microbial lining to fight odor, a lightweight and flexible design, and soft memory foam for ultimate comfort. With four color-combos to choose from and both little kid and big kid sizes, there’s an option for everyone.
Merrell Altalight Low Shoe
Merrell’s Altalight Low Shoe is the kids’ shoes version of Merrell’s popular hiker for women and men. Designed for off-road comfort, the shoe manages to be both lightweight and cushioned for comfort. The Altalight features Merrell’s QuantumGrip for dependable traction, and the lining is crafted to prevent bacteria and control odor. Reviewers praise the shoe’s adaptability, too: They’re as good on the playground as on the trail, and are great for kids who love to climb stuff.
Puma Peanuts-Inspired Sneakers
Puma has a lot of cool sneakers for kids, but its Peanuts-inspired sneakers for little kids and big kids stand out as a particularly playful take on kids sneakers. The reimagined 80s PUMA Basketball Archives shoe sports a Snoopy graphic. Perfect for the Peanuts-lovers in your life, these sneakers blend Puma comfort (and the brand’s signature cat logo at the heel) with a perfect reminder that childhood is for playing.
Sketchers Kids Sport Lighted Shimmer Beam
Sketchers Kids Sport Lighted-Shimmer Beam sneakers earn rave reviews for their shimmery metallic finish and light-up-with-every-step style. Less exciting but no less important, these light-up kids Sketchers also have a breathable lining, gel-infused memory foam insole, air-cushioned outsole for extra comfort, and bungee laces and pull tabs for easy on and off.
Plae Ty Shoes
Plae Ty sneakers’ great color combinations and Velcro-closure straps are ideal for younger kids as they become more opinionated and independent. Flexible enough to allow kids natural movement, and grippy for excellent traction when climbing, the Ty sneakers come in more than a dozen colors and range in size from a little kids 6 through big kids 4. Parents and kids alike adore these machine-washable shoes, citing features like the sort of durability that can stand up to kids who are extra rough on shoes.
Nike Air Max
Nike’s Air Max line for kids breathes new life into a classic 90s sneaker icon. The Nike Air Max 90 LTR has been redesigned with softer, more flexible cushioning to give growing feet just-right support. Or, as Nike puts it, these shoes “look like the original but feel like the future.” Added flexibility in the toes plus a softer midsole lets kids bend their feet naturally, and extra-durable materials are built for hard wear by kids. Nearly 30 color combos to choose from and sizes between 3.5 and 7 for big kids nearly guarantees a perfect fit. There’s also a version of the Air Max 90 for smaller feet.
New Balance 990 Collection
New Balance’s kids 990 collection offers a single silhouette with a variety of different features. Choose sizes ranging from toddler right through the point your kid’s feet are bigger than yours. Find Velcro and tie options and all sorts of colors. What stays the same no matter which you choose is the ultra-comfortable EVA-cushioned midsole, impact-absorbing outsole, and standard and wide fits.
Crocs Kids’ LiteRide Pacer
You want your kid to wear shoes, but your kid just wants to wear Crocs. Sound familiar? Have it both ways with these Crocs for kids that are sneakers too. The Kids’ LiteRide Pacers look like sneakers, stay on like sneakers, but feel like Crocs. They feature slip-on styling, soft foam insoles, and uppers that are flexible enough to require no breaking-in period. These Crocs sneakers come in seven colors and a range of sizes from little kids 10 to big kids 6.
Keen Targhee Waterproof Shoes
Keen’s hybrid sneakers are ready for everything, from sidewalk to trail and backyard to schoolyard. Its Targhee Waterproof shoe for big and little kids looks and feels like a sporty sneaker with plenty of cushioning and a comfortable fit, but has hiking-ready features like all-terrain traction and breathable waterproofing. The removable outsole has built-in natural odor control (yay!) and the lace-capture system means kids won’t have to tie and retie their shoes throughout the day.
Kids’ shoes support them as they discover the world. Little feet need special care, and the best children’s shoes are designed with growing bodies in mind. And with new shoes just an online cart away, it’s easier than ever to keep up with kids through growth spurts, style changes, and worn-out kicks alike.